Submitted By: wazDate: June 02, 2010, 09:45:58 PM
Summary: My fuel sender had been acting up for a few years now and I finally got a weekend that I could dedicate to changing it. (I've only had the parts for about a year.) The only reason I changed the fuel pump is because it was going to be out in my hand and the AV has almost 70,000 miles. For $50 I don't need to pull it twice.
The part numbers for a 2004 Avalanche.
SK1275 Fuel level sensor. About $80 from Rock Auto (Comes with the tank seal O-ring and two different sending units.)
MU1657 Fuel pump. (I've seen this number for either the whole module or just the pump.) Hole module $380. Pump only $50 on eBay. (The pump only is just that the pump, with its attached line, nothing else.)
The first pic is before I cut the carpet.
Second pic, I cut the carpet based on seeing pics from others that have done this mod. I placed the o-ring about where I'd seen the pump in the holes that others had cut. I realized that I'd need a bigger hole.
Third pic, I made a second cut in the rug so I could make the hole big enough to do the job.
Forth pic, After burning up two rotary tools (a Black & Decker and a Ryobi) I had a hole and it looked big enough to get to the pump. (In defense of the Black & Decker, I had used it to cut gear teeth in 8 pieces of 1/8? steel when I first bought it. The Ryobi only made a 3? cut before it died.)
The lines on my '04 had quick connects that just squeeze to release and came off easily. The electrical connectors were easy too. Getting the lock ring off without the proper tool is difficult. I used a large pair of channel locks and managed ok.
Once the outside is all disconnected, have a couple of pieces of string or wire ready to attach to two lines that need to be disconnected from the module inside the tank. They had the same type of quick connects as the outer lines. Then I pulled the module out. A little tight but not bad. (Sorry I didn't take pics of the parts I changed but, I didn't want to get gas on my phone or camera.)
Changing the sending unit was simple, squeeze two tabs and pull out the sender. Then a locking tab on the electrical connector and its out. The fuel pump however is not easy. The electrical connector comes off easy but, getting the plastic line off of a barb fitting is a bit difficult. Getting the new pumps tube onto the barb fitting is very difficult. I did it but, only two of the three barbs. So I used a good stainless steel hose clamp to be sure it would stay attached.
complete fuel pump module for a 2004 AV.
old florescent light fixture before I cut some strips out of it to attach tto the piece I cut out of the floor.
pieces I formed to the floor and attached to the cut out with RTV and rivets.
weather stripping I put around my new access panel. You can see the shape of the tabs pretty good in this pic.
I need to take the panel back off and paint the bare metal edges but I was done for the day. It took me a lot longer to do this then I expected. It took me about 9 hours but, I was working alone. I don't think I could have dropped the tank by myself so it was worth cutting the hole to me. (I have excuses for why it took so long but, they don't really matter.)